I had to tell her! She asked me not to lie! What was I going to say? So I smiled softly and said "Do you really want to know the truth, Emma?" Inside I am thinking "today is the day my 8 year old daughter loses a little more of her innocence".
No it wasn't the "S" talk, but the other dreaded talk..... the "Santa" talk.
I have dreaded this for a long time probably even more than the "S" talk. I just remember how terrible it was for me to know and how I found out. I was about Emma's age and awoke Christmas morning to no toys. NO TOYS! Not even a book or a piece of candy. Nothing! I thought I was the worse child ever. My mom didn't even say a word. My sisters ( 2 of the 3 Mary and Michele) said
Sorry! Didn't you know there is no Santa?" to the tone of "get over it kid"
They are now angels in my book, but that day.... not so much!!
Anyway, Emma now knows! I tried to break it to her gently. I hated it, but I knew it was time. She handled it well. She cried a little and then asked about the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and basically all mythical creatures.
I tried to help her look on the bright side. She can now work with Dad and me to help make these Holidays and special events memorable for Andrew. This thought seemed to relieve some of the sting. Knowing she knows something that her brother doesn't really brightened up the whole seen.
She is now in bed and as I reflect on tonight's experience I realize Emma changed right in front of me tonight. I guess our kids are always changing in front of us, but tonight I noticed and I knew that once the words left my mouth and she learned "the truth" Emma and her world would never be the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Oh! tears! I love your outlook of seeing her change right in front of you. Oh my goodness! I think I would have cried right along with her. Sweet, precious Emma...although the jolly ole man in the big red suit may not visit you in the way you know him to from this point on...The Spirit of St. Nicholas will visit you and touch your heart in ways you can't imagine from this point forward. Love you both! Good Job, Mama!
Post a Comment